Alfresco is an open source enterprise content management system for Microsoft Windows and Unix-like operating systems.
Alfresco includes a content repository, an out-of-the-box web portal framework for managing and using standard portal content, a CIFS (Common Internet File System) interface that provides file system compatibility on Microsoft Windows and Unix-like operating systems, a web content management system capable of virtualizing webapps and static sites via Apache Tomcat, Lucene indexing, and Activiti workflow.
The Alfresco system is developed using Java technology and is capable of the following:
- Document Management
- Web Content Management (including full webapp & session virtualization)
- Repository-level versioning (similar to Subversion)
- Transparent overlays (similar to unionfs)
- Records Management
- Image Management
- Auto-generated XForms with AJAX support
- Integrated Publishing
- Repository access via CIFS/SMB, FTP, WebDAV, NFS and CMIS
- Activities workflow
- Lucene search
- Federated servers
- Multi-language support
- Portable application packaging
- Multi-platform support (officially Windows, GNU/Linux and Solaris)
- Browser-based GUI (official support for Internet Explorer and Firefox)
- Desktop integration with Microsoft Office and OpenOffice
- Clustering support
- Pluggable authentication: NTLM, LDAP, Kerberos, CAS
- Multiple Database support: MySQL, PostgreSQL ...